Monday, February 14, 2011

Kettlebelling for Spring Break

A few posts ago I mentioned that I wanted to try working out with a Kettlebell...because according to this Yahoo Article, it is possible using one to burn 300 calories in 15 minutes. That sounded pretty good to me considering that I don't enjoy exercising (atleast not in my current physical condition).  But, I lasted about ten minutes.  Its my first day. I wouldn't want to exert myself too much. I'll go for 15 minutes tomorrow. Promise!

This is the kettlebell I bought today

Its 10 lbs. A good option for beginners although it may be a bit on the heavy side. I probably should have started with the 5 lb bell. Anyway, this one is girly and not as intimidating as the traditional kettlebells that the Russian athletes used that are made of cast iron like these. I have to master the techniques of kettlebell swinging before I endanger the walls, windows and people (including myself) around me by using a cast iron bell.
 Oh and mine was significantly cheaper. This 10 lb-er is $42, mine was $18

And it came with a workout DVD with a warm up, 3 workouts and a cool down.

Its a simple workout but seems very effective. My heart was pumping 170 beats a minute after performing a few Kettlebell throws. A kettlebell throw is the most common move...it requires you to swing the kettlebell back  through your legs while in a squatting position and then swing it forward until it is above your head.
 After ten of these, I was breaking a sweat. 

          I want to see somebody perform a kettlebell throw using the cast iron kettlebell on the bottom right of that chart above...106 lbs..wow. 

Well I feel a bit like a wimp for not completing the short work out. My goal is to make it all the way through it tomorrow. I can do it : )

No comments:

Post a Comment